H.B. 440: Eating up Time
H.B. 440: Eating up Time
Maybe it’s because it was nearing lunchtime.
I was seated in the gallery of Utah’s House of
Representatives and heard something about lunch, and I was suddenly locked in.
The forum on the floor at that very moment was an
impassioned plea from a legislator on behalf of schoolchildren all across Utah.
As a former elementary school teacher and principal, I locked in further.
Sponsored by Rep. Tiara Auxier (District 4, Morgan, Rich and
Summit counties) of the House Education Committee and Utah Senate Rules Vice
Chair, Senator Keith Grover (District 23, Utah county), H.B. 440 “enacts
provisions related to school community councils, school meals and recess in public
school” (Utah Legislature, 2026). Specifically, H.B. 440 would:
·
Require an LEA to dedicate a share table
program;
·
Require a School Community Council and a charter
school’s wellness committee or a charter trust land council to hold a school
lunch planning meeting;
·
Require accountability for these stipulations,
and
·
Establish certain requirements regarding recess
in an elementary school.
Now that my appetite was whetted, I investigated the bill
further and found several reasons to support this proposal. First, I don’t
think anyone would argue that school cafeteria food could use some improvement.
I’m entirely in favor of school lunch planning meetings to determine the best
ways to nourish the children within budgetary guidelines. Identifying and
sharing best practices among state school lunch programs would be a win-win
initiative that would make a real difference for thousands of students and
staff.
I’m keenly interested in the notion of establishing a share
table as I’m acutely aware of the audacious amount of food waste in the cafeteria,
often related to the desire children inherently have to get outside and win the
recess soccer (or four-square or tag, etc.) game. The share table would at
least provide a productive home for all of those delicious treats--dutifully packed
by doting moms each morning--which typically find themselves in the circular
file due to thoughtless and impulsive decisions by hurried and distracted
children.
This bill would set a goal of at least 20 minutes of seated
eating time for students, thereby negating the rush and allowing children the
freedom to calmly enjoy their meal at a rate that encourages normal digestion.
Furthermore, the bill contains language stating that recess should be held prior
to lunch to improve eating habits and reduce waste.
I had no idea when I sat down in the gallery that I had such
a bone to pick about this delectable bill. I’m all for it and hope that schools
will allow for creative scheduling and improved nutrition for Utah’s students.
So interesting, I am all for recess requirements and ways to support better nutrition, but I am always curious about how much time we spend on the eating habits of first graders. Are the panda cookies worth the hype?
ReplyDelete